Passport Stop #7
Pioneer Park, Southampton
While you are here:
Chantry Island lighthouse-winner of Canada’s Best Hidden Travel Gem 2010
- Since the Chantry Island Lighthouse became operation in 1859, it has been guiding sailors safely through the waters of Lake Huron off the shores of Southampton.
- You can take a guided tour and relive some of the 152 years of history that is the Lighthouse. More than 300,000 hours have been put into the restoration of the Imperial Lighthouse, Keeper’s Quarters and Boathouse on Chantry Island.
- On your excursion, you will journey to Chantry Island on the tour boat “Peerless,” while taking in the breathtaking views of the “Oldest Port on the Bruce Coast” and the mysterious Harbour of Refugee where shipwrecks abound.
Head to Jubilee Park’s NEW accessible play ground
- Saugeen Shores has its own special park. Opened in 2010, the park features playground equipment that those kids with physical challenges can use as well.
- The park features slides, swings and climbing apparatus to name a few.
- Besides the play equipment and gardens, the facility has a refurbished shelter, picnic area, and washroom facility.
Visit Southampton Art School & Gallery
- For over 50 years, thousands of people of all ages have come to learn – watercolour, stained glass, jazz, gourmet cooking – for a day, a weekend, or week, in the studio or on location.
- From a few dozen students in 1957, enrolment has grown to record numbers and classes continue to run in the one-room heritage schoolhouse and other facilities – including a lighthouse.
- The Art School is dedicated to celebrating the joy of creativity and developing artistic talent no matter what the age or experience.
- Register for classes at www.theartschool.org
Stop #7 Videos
There are currently no videos posted for this stop. Check back soon!